Quantcast

sun-jms-binding: open connections greater than max number of threads

sun-jms-binding: open connections greater than max number of threads

plecesne
Hello,

Does anyone have an idea why, although I have configured the sun-jms-binding to have a maximum of 20 threads, I get 25 open connections to my MQSeries server (sometimes much more)?
Does the number of open connections to the MQSeries server depend on something else than the number of threads?
Or is there a known bug (on OpenESB v2.0) about connections that wouldn't be closed in some cases?

Thank you!

Pierre

Re: sun-jms-binding: open connections greater than max number of threads

Guido Annaert
Hello Pierre,

I've also observed this already when connecting to MQ.

It also depends wether you are connecting in Client Mode (non XA) or in binding mode (XA enabled).

See also an article of IBM, http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.websphere.express.doc/info/exp/ae/tmj_adm34.html

which explains a little bit more on the nr of open threads.

Regards,
Guido

RE: sun-jms-binding: open connections greater than max number of threads

Frank Kieviet

Hi Pierre,

There could be a few things going on here.

a) we discovered a bug in the MQSeries client library where the client library keeps sockets open. We found this bug ONLY on Solaris.

b) the number of connections should roughly be the pool size. This should be tied to the number of threads, but is configured separately. Applications typically use one connection, but there are cases where more than one connection is required, e.g. request/reply from an EJB.

c) in case of a delivery to the deadletter queue, another connection is allocated for the connection allocated by the application.

Do any of these options ring a bell with you? If not, can you provide some more information on the circumstances where this occurs?

Best,

Frank

Frank Kieviet

Software engineer, OpenESB / CAPS / Fusion

Oracle, Monrovia, CA

Tel +1 626 471 6322

Blog: http://frankkieviet.blogspot.com/

Pierre

Re: sun-jms-binding: open connections greater than max number of threads

plecesne
Hi Frank,

Yes, option (a) does ring a bell as we are working on Solaris. The other options don't apply to my case.
I started digging around but I didn't find this bug to be reported anywhere. Do you know if this has ever been reported? If so, any clue where I could follow up the issue?

Thank you!

Pierre

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 04:57, Frank Kieviet <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Administrator

Hi Pierre,

From digging in my email archive, it seems that the problem with MQSeries on Solaris went away when MQSeries was upgraded from 6.0.1 to 6.0.2.x.

I've attached the test that we ran to diagnose the problem with MQSeries. It may be of use to you if you want to establish that it is in fact a problem with MQSeries on Solaris.

HTH,

Frank

Does anyone have an idea why, although I have configured the sun-jms-binding to have a maximum of 20 threads, I get 25 open connections to my MQSeries server (sometimes much more)?
Does the number of open connections to the MQSeries server depend on something else than the number of threads?
Or is there a known bug (on OpenESB v2.0) about connections that wouldn't be closed in some cases?

Thank you!

Pierre

TestWMQXA.JAVA (2K) Download Attachment
XXid.java (7K) Download Attachment