Silly question about logging.

Rubén Nieto
Hi!

This may be even offtopic for this list, but please bear with this newbie netbeans/openEsb user.

The question is: how do I log messages in a bpel process??

I've seen that "logging" tab in the editor and I've tried to log the input message in the Receive activity. I've dragged a string from the xml input variable to a concat operation with some "my log message is:" string, and the concat output to the LOG_onStart warning (just to make sure its above the default severity level), but my message is nowhere to be found in the glassfish log O_o

What am I doing wrong o where should I look for my log messages??

Thanks in advance!

Re: Silly question about logging.

Piotr Kaczyński
Hi,

This is just my guess, because AFAIS you do everything ok.

If you log on receive activity, you probably try to log something which
is passed as message to this activity. You use "on start" which is
actually before receive is executed, so maybe you try to log using empty
variable (message not assigned before receive) and some exception is
caught (in logging they are caught and the processing is conducted
further) so maybe you simply missed thi exception.

Try also to log to info level.

Hope that helps,
Piotr

Rubén Nieto pisze:

> Hi!
>
> This may be even offtopic for this list, but please bear with this
> newbie netbeans/openEsb user.
>
> The question is: how do I log messages in a bpel process??
>
> I've seen that "logging" tab in the editor and I've tried to log the
> input message in the Receive activity. I've dragged a string from the
> xml input variable to a concat operation with some "my log message
> is:" string, and the concat output to the LOG_onStart warning (just to
> make sure its above the default severity level), but my message is
> nowhere to be found in the glassfish log O_o
>
> What am I doing wrong o where should I look for my log messages??
>
> Thanks in advance!

Re: Silly question about logging.

Louis Polycarpou
Hi Ruben,

Are you looking in the correct log file. The contents should be logged in the server.log file in ...\openesb\glassfish-v2-ur2-b04-patch-20080819\domains\domain1\logs.

Regards,
Louis

Rubén Nieto pisze:
Hi!

This may be even offtopic for this list, but please bear with this newbie netbeans/openEsb user.

The question is: how do I log messages in a bpel process??

I've seen that "logging" tab in the editor and I've tried to log the input message in the Receive activity. I've dragged a string from the xml input variable to a concat operation with some "my log message is:" string, and the concat output to the LOG_onStart warning (just to make sure its above the default severity level), but my message is nowhere to be found in the glassfish log O_o

What am I doing wrong o where should I look for my log messages??

Thanks in advance!

Louis Polycarpou
Sun Microsystems SOA/BI FAST
Email: [hidden email]
Skype: <a href="skype:lpolycarpou">lpolycarpou
My blog Project Open ESB

Re: Silly question about logging.

Rubén Nieto
Ummm, seems there's a problem with the concat:

==> Exception while parsing the expression : concat('***MY USERNAME:', stub(), stub(), $LoginServiceConcreteOperationIn.LoginRequest/ns0:username)

Where are coming those "stub()" from anyway??

If I just log a string literal it gets logged OK, so seems the problem is not the logger.

Thank you guys! :) I'll dig into it some more.

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 14:02, Rubén Nieto <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

This may be even offtopic for this list, but please bear with this newbie netbeans/openEsb user.

The question is: how do I log messages in a bpel process??

I've seen that "logging" tab in the editor and I've tried to log the input message in the Receive activity. I've dragged a string from the xml input variable to a concat operation with some "my log message is:" string, and the concat output to the LOG_onStart warning (just to make sure its above the default severity level), but my message is nowhere to be found in the glassfish log O_o

What am I doing wrong o where should I look for my log messages??

Thanks in advance!

Re: Silly question about logging.

Vitaly Bychkov
Hi Rubén ,

Seems like the generated code is wrong , stub() is used when there is no connection with right/left tree i.e. it is stub stub for correspondent values.
Could you reproduce it ?

Vitaly.

Rubén Nieto wrote:
[...]

Sean Keane
Ruben,

The stub() comes from the available inputs for the Concat operation, and it appears that you have a 'String' with no input.  Your Concat should look like this -

but, it probably is looking like this -

You can fix this in either the code view, or the graphical view - just delete the link, and connect it to the first empty String should do it.

Sean

Thanks in advance!

Re: Silly question about logging.

Louis Polycarpou
Ruben,

Whilst there are some cases where this may occur, for instance, if you created a literal and mapped it but didn't populate it or something similar. However, in this case it sounds like it could be a bug. I've just tried it in the latest version and these stubs are created if you leave 'gaps' between the connector points you are connecting to on the concat functoid (see attached image). You can remove the stubs manually from the source to correct the problem.

Regards,
Louis

My blog Project Open ESB

My blog Project Open ESB

Re: Silly question about logging.

Vitaly Bychkov
One can remove stub from mapper view - all you need just dnd input links to reorder them without gaps.
Any way there is a validation error which informs user about this issue:
e.g.:
ERROR: From: The XPath expression contains "1" stub() functions which has to be replaced with a specific argument.  Expression: "concat($inputVar.inputType/ns2:paramA, stub(), $outputVar.resultType/ns2:paramA)"

Vitaly.

Rubén Nieto wrote:
[...]

Skype: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="skype:lpolycarpou">lpolycarpou
My blog Project Open ESB