Problem with JDBC Binding Component (naming problem??)

Problem with JDBC Binding Component (naming problem??)

Rubén Nieto
Hi there,

This is my first message to the list. I've just started working with Open ESB to see if I can use it for an important universisty work.

I wanted ESB to access a database and get me some records as part of a bpel process. With what came installed with the Netbeans IDE (I downloaded an starter kit bundle), I could not make queries with parameters like "SELECT * FROM table WHERE key=?", so I went and downloaded the latest (31-08-2008 build) of the following:

jdbcbc.jar
sqlse.jar
org-netbeans-modules-sql-wizard.nbm
org-netbeans-modules-wsdlextensions-jdbc.nbm

With the new WSDL from Database wizard I get the option to query prepared statements and can use the query I want. Buth then the project builds OK, but the deploy FAILS, and seems to me there is a naming bug.

It says that the sun-database-binding component is missing in the server. I think the problem is the real component is called sun-jdbc-binding, as sun-database-binding is nowhere to be found in google, the openesb page, etc.

Could someone confirm this behaviour and/or fix the problem and/or tell me what I'm doing wrong? :)

Best regards!

RE: Problem with JDBC Binding Component (naming problem??)

Alexander Fung

Ruben,

Thanks for trying out Open ESB; we hope that we can easily solve your use cases.

Thanks for catching the difference, but this is not a naming problem per se.  In the past, we had two components to perform database operations—a SQL SE and a JDBC BC.  It turns out that they both solved a different set of use cases and were geared for different users.  Unfortunately, it was difficult explaining this, and we ended up spending a lot more time directing people to use one or another.

Over the past month, we’ve been working on one runtime component to handle both set of use cases.  We’ve been working on enhancing our tooling to create artifacts for that one runtime component, while still maintaining as much backwards compatibility as possible.  That’s why the design-time artifacts still say sql-wizard and wsdlextensions-jdbc.  The runtime component should be sun-database-binding.

What doesn’t make sense is why the installation of Open ESB doesn’t contain the latest Database BC in the runtime.  I’ll look into this.

In the meantime, you can go to http://download.java.net/jbi/binaries/open-jbi-components/main/nightly/latest/ojc/ and grab the databasebc.jar.  You can install this into the runtime, and from that point forward, you should be able to deploy your project without any problems.

Alex

Re: Problem with JDBC Binding Component (naming problem??)

Rubén Nieto
Thanks for your answer, Alexander. That quite did the trick :) My little project still doesn't work, but it deploys and I'm fixing it little by little.

But I've spotted a couple little bugs in the wsdl and xsd from database generation. Nothing serious, but it can annoy people with little experience in wsdl and/or xsd.

-In the wsdl, the operations you define appear always as "untitled_Operation". Not a bug per se, but I guess the wizard should ask you for the operation name.
-In the wsdl, when querying prepared statements, the paramOrder attribute in the jdbc:input is left blank, and the build fails.
-In the xsd mapping the database table, the Response part is wrong. The two names in bold should match, but they don't, and so the response part actually has no elements.

    <xsd:element name="WebusersService_Response">
      <xsd:complexType>
        <xsd:sequence>
          <xsd:element maxOccurs="unbounded" ref="WebusersService_Response_Record"></xsd:element>
        </xsd:sequence>
      </xsd:complexType>
    </xsd:element>
    <xsd:element name="WebusersService_Record">
      <xsd:complexType>
        <xsd:sequence>
          <xsd:element name="userid" type="xsd:int"></xsd:element>
          <xsd:element name="clientid" type="xsd:int"></xsd:element>
          <xsd:element name="login" type="xsd:string"></xsd:element>
          <xsd:element name="passwd" type="xsd:string"></xsd:element>
          <xsd:element name="ismasteraccount" type="xsd:int"></xsd:element>
          <xsd:element name="name" type="xsd:string"></xsd:element>
          <xsd:element name="surname" type="xsd:string"></xsd:element>
          <xsd:element name="email" type="xsd:string"></xsd:element>
        </xsd:sequence>
      </xsd:complexType>
    </xsd:element>

Regards!

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 23:17, Alexander Fung <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

We’ll take a look at these issues.

Thanks!

Alex

Re: Problem with JDBC Binding Component (naming problem??)

Alexander Fung
I've checked with the build team for Open ESB and they will be including the DB BC in the next OpenESB release.

I'll provide updates on the issues below once I have more details.

Alex

Alexander Fung
Sun's Open ESB Community (http://open-esb.org)

Re: Problem with JDBC Binding Component (naming problem??)

Rubén Nieto
Hi there!

I still have problems with sun-jdbc-binding and sun-database-binding.

I got to the point where I had sun-database-binding installed in my server, and my project deployed nicely. But then the SOME of my tests failed. It seemed to me (wrongly, probably) that it could be a problem with the bpel-se, so I tried to upgrade it to the latest version. Some weird things happened and my server got corrupted (I was unable to completely install nor completely uninstall the bpel-se), so I uninstalled everything (server, ide, openesb) and installed from scratch.

Now when I install the latest org-netbeans-modules-wsdlextensions-jdbc.nbm and org-netbeans-modules-sql-wizard.nbm I get the "wsdl that uses a prepared statement" wizard, but then when I build the composite app it points to sun-jdbc-binding instead of sun-database-binding. It builds and deploys, but the test fails with some nullpointer. Note that the tests that worked before reinstalling everything and that correctly used the sun-database-binding ALSO FAIL now.

My guess if there some weird things are going on with the netbeans plugins that use those binding components.

I'm a bit clueless right now as what to do to get an stable enviroment, with both devel plugins and runtime components in sync. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, and best regards!!

Rubén

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 21:10, Alexander Fung <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've checked with the build team for Open ESB and they will be including the DB BC in the next OpenESB release.

I'll provide updates on the issues below once I have more details.

Alex

Re: Problem with JDBC Binding Component (naming problem??)

Prashant Ponnala
Ruben,

All the latest database design time components should be referring to databasebc and not jdbcbc.
Can you let me know where you are installing the components from?
If you continue to have issues, I can send you the latest where the references should all be to databasebc.

Prashant

Rubén Nieto wrote:
[...]

Hi Prashant!

Problem "solved" by starting a new project from scratch (more like a workaround actually). I'm using the Starter Kit from http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp

I tried this one also: http://download.java.net/jbi/binaries/open-esb-full-install/latest/openesb-installer-windows-20080819.exe, but in that netbeans the new sql-wizard plugin refused to install saying "plugin already installed" (maybe someone forgot to change the plugin version so netbeans thinks its the same one when in fact its not??).

I hope that when a new full build comes out this will all be solved.

Thanks a lot!

Rubén Nieto wrote:
[...]

Sébastien Stormacq
Prashant,

Notice that the OpenESB component download page only refers to JDBC BC and SQL SE, there is no such things as databasebc

Where can we download it ?

Thanks

Seb
---
Sébastien Stormacq
Senior Software Architect
GSS Software Practice,
Sun Microsystems Luxembourg

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem with JDBC Binding Component (naming problem??)

Alexander Fung
I've asked the DB team to update the wiki to include information about this.  Also, we can update this page to include a link to the downloadables.

Sorry, it's taking a while to find all the various places we need to add to make it visible to the community.

Alex

Alexander Fung
Sun's Open ESB Community (http://open-esb.org)

RE: Problem with JDBC Binding Component (naming problem??)

Frank Kieviet
Administrator

If you go to the downloads page (https://open-esb.dev.java.net/Downloads.html) , and expand the contents of the nightly build, you’ll see the link to the component artifacts.