Quantcast

Memory Leak in OpenESB 2.3 with WSEndpointImpl

hkd

Memory Leak in OpenESB 2.3 with WSEndpointImpl

hkd
We are using OpenESB 2.3 with GF 2.1.1 on windows server 2012(64 bit). JDK version is 1.7.0_25 and here are the jvm params:
<jvm-options>-server</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-Xms3076m</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-Xmx3076m</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-XX:MaxPermSize=512m</jvm-options>
<jvm-options>-XX:PermSize=512m</jvm-options>

After a usage of 4-5 days, we noticed the small but gradual increase in the memory being used. We took the memory dump and saw that most of the memory being used by the JVM which has glassfish running inside it is being accumulated in 2 WSEndpointImpl objects. Please see the attached screenshot. It seems like a memory leak to us. I would really appreciate any help in this regard by anyone. Image from Eclipse MAT is attached below:

top consumers_oesb_2.3_gf_2.1.1

Re: Memory Leak in OpenESB 2.3 with WSEndpointImpl

Hello HDK

Happy that you progress in your issue.
Nevertheless, it seems that it is something that look like a memory leak (see our previous conversation). This confirm my first diagnostic and you bug need time and effort to be understood and solved.
Best Regards

hkd

Re: Memory Leak in OpenESB 2.3 with WSEndpointImpl

hkd
Dear Paul,

Its always a pleasure to see someone - such as you - so prompt while responding to public queries. I really appreciate that.

Well, I am not sure whether this was the issue we had faced earlier as old memory dumps were having a lot of free memory. What has changed is that we prepared a build as per your suggestion (making EJB calls over SOAP/HTTP rather than JBI calls) and its working OK for the last 4-5 days with a reasonable load. The only thing worrying me is a slow and gradual increase in the memory, as mentioned above. I checked some questions posted earlier and it seems a bug in metro (correct me if I am wrong).

Nevertheless, I am here again for your and every other OpenESB user's valuable feedback and support. (Like we could go somewhere else?). I am checking out OE SE too meanwhile. If thats the way we have to go with our WS calls from within BPEL processes, we would definitely move to OS SE which has grizzly 2+ as its http containers. Lets see how things move forward.

Waiting for your input as it seems a trivial case too (ESEndpointImpl.java accumalting/caching WS endpoints).

Cheers!

hkd

Re: Memory Leak in OpenESB 2.3 with WSEndpointImpl

hkd
MAT identified as a leak suspect... any word guys? Is it somehow related to QoS as we are using it in our endpoints or there is something wrong somewhere else?

One instance of "com.sun.xml.ws.server.WSEndpointImpl" loaded by "com.sun.appserv.server.util.ASURLClassLoader @ 0x74002a608" occupies 67,858,280 (20.52%) bytes. The instance is referenced by org.glassfish.gmbal.impl.MBeanImpl @ 0x745cecec0 , loaded by "com.sun.appserv.server.util.ASURLClassLoader @ 0x74002a608". The memory is accumulated in one instance of "java.util.LinkedHashMap" loaded by "<system class loader>".

Keywords
java.util.LinkedHashMap
com.sun.appserv.server.util.ASURLClassLoader @ 0x74002a608
com.sun.xml.ws.server.WSEndpointImpl
Paul Perez wrote

Did you use javaee-engine ?
hkd

Re: Memory Leak in OpenESB 2.3 with WSEndpointImpl

hkd
Right now, we are using SOAP Bindings to call our web services deployed inside glassfish. So I think we did but not now. We are sending around 10k-12k messages and each day, memory pops up around 20MB.

Earlier, yes we used it and all our web service calls were on NMR using java-ee-engine.
hkd

Re: Memory Leak in OpenESB 2.3 with WSEndpointImpl

hkd
Adding further, componentRegistry set is keeping all the memory inside WSEndpointImpl object.

Re: Memory Leak in OpenESB 2.3 with WSEndpointImpl

Which version of HTTP-BC ?
hkd

Re: Memory Leak in OpenESB 2.3 with WSEndpointImpl

hkd
Version 2.3.0 build number 182

Re: Memory Leak in OpenESB 2.3 with WSEndpointImpl

So, you're probably facing this issue :
https://openesb.atlassian.net/browse/ESBCOMP-109
hkd

Re: Memory Leak in OpenESB 2.3 with WSEndpointImpl

hkd
Well i checked the histogram and here are some details below and some objects do match. Do i need to update httpbc to some version possibly 2.4, if that works with OpenESB 2.3.0?

histogram of a possible memory leak

Thanks in advance David.

Re: Memory Leak in OpenESB 2.3 with WSEndpointImpl

There is no version 2.4 for HTTPBC !

We have a 3.0.0 versiob which is based on latest versions of Grizzly and Metro (JAXWS).
If you are under GF2.1, I would recommend to use latest 2.3.x (2.3.5 as far as I know).

3.0.0 is mainly used and tested for OpenESB Standalone and Glassfish v4.

Regards,
hkd

Re: Memory Leak in OpenESB 2.3 with WSEndpointImpl

hkd
Oh right!.

2.3.4 is being used with OE SE 3.0.5. Would that work with OE 2.3.0 with GF 2.1.1? If yes, should i just update the component alone? We are evaluating OE SE too and would you suggest moving to that as it frees us from GF 2.1.1 too.
Appreciate your help.

Re: Memory Leak in OpenESB 2.3 with WSEndpointImpl

Really, if you don't need Glassfish anymore, let's move to Standalone !
It will be easier, better, to manage your platform using OpenESB Standalone !

And if you need help, do not hesitate to ask us.
hkd

Re: Memory Leak in OpenESB 2.3 with WSEndpointImpl

hkd
Yes that's what we have in mind but requires a whole lot of work. Following the suggestion of Paul, we have re-arranged our app now and are in testing phase where our BPEL are calling web services using soap binding.

Regarding the component update question which i asked earlier, a simple update using the admin console would do? only httpbc needs to be updated as BPEL-SE is also mentioned in the affected components in the issue you referred.

Re: Memory Leak in OpenESB 2.3 with WSEndpointImpl

You can do a component upgrade from admin console (or asadmin command).
Only HTTP-BC is requiring an upgrade to latest version.
hkd

Re: Memory Leak in OpenESB 2.3 with WSEndpointImpl

hkd
Thanks a lot David. I will do that and share the results.

Re: Memory Leak in OpenESB 2.3 with WSEndpointImpl

Ok, Thanks for your feedback !

Re: Memory Leak in OpenESB 2.3 with WSEndpointImpl

Hello

What is your Feedback

Regards

PPE

hkd

Re: Memory Leak in OpenESB 2.3 with WSEndpointImpl

hkd
Dear Paul and David,

I am happy to share that the results are encouraging. We are continuously monitoring one environment which is specifically set-up with the updated version of http-bc(2.3.4) and that has not gone down for the last couple of weeks. We did two changes:

1. upgrade the http-bc
2. making external calls to our web services deployed in Glassfish.

The old generation does not swell any more after the change. Thank you for you all and specially to David for pointing me towards the right direction.

Last but not the least, we are evaluating going for a subscription for OE 2.3.x+ too.

Thank you all once again.