Quantcast

Configure context.xml usgin tnsnames

Aaron B. Cobos
This post was updated on .
I need OpenESB SE to connect to some Oracle databases using tnsnames.ora. Is there any way to use a custom jdbc url like jdbc:oracle:thin:@ANYTNSNAME?

Re: Configure context.xml usgin tnsnames

Akshay
Hello Aron,

For connecting Open ESB to Oracle DB, you need to define settings of your DB in context.xml of ESB.
For connecting using SID, use below property :
  <property>
                <name>databaseName</name>
                <value>XE</value>
                <description></description>
            </property>

For connecting using Service name, use below property :
  <property>
                <name>serviceName</name>
                <value>oraxe</value>
                <description></description>
            </property>

Let me know if you need any help.

Regards,
Akshay

Re: Configure context.xml usgin tnsnames

Aaron B. Cobos
Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for

Re: Configure context.xml usgin tnsnames

Hello Akshay

How are you?

One of the user on Nabble the complete Oracle configuration.

thank you

Re: Configure context.xml usgin tnsnames

Akshay
Hello Paul,

I am fine, thanks. Hope you are fine too.

Would you please show me the post where he wanted the help, I will guide him to perform the complete setup.

Regards,
Akshay

Re: Configure context.xml usgin tnsnames

martipamies
Hi  Akshay,

I've been reviewing your post regarding using tnsnames.ora inside context.xml, and also talking with Paul about it, it is so interesting but I still have some questions:
- Could you provide the full definition for your <dataSource-pool-properties>?
- Could you provide your tnsnames.ora (for me it's no clear if I have to use SID/ServiceName/TNS_Alias?
- Which driver are you including at lib/ext?
- How do you change opens.bat to include -Doracle.net.tns_admin property?

Regards,
Martí

Re: Configure context.xml usgin tnsnames

Akshay
Hello Marti,

Please follow the instruction in attached document to configure DB connections.
Let me know in case you need any help or clarifications.

DB_Configuration.pdf

Akshay

Re: Configure context.xml usgin tnsnames

martipamies
Hi Akshay

Thank you so much for your document. I have been reviewing it and I guess you are not using a tnsnames.ora file. Do you?
Connection pool defined seems to be an standard connection pool with Ip, port, user,pwd, datatabse. Is it?

Martí

Re: Configure context.xml usgin tnsnames

Akshay
Yes Marti,

I am not using tnsnames.ora. Also, we keep the standard values for now, but can be changed based on your needs, like setting up  MAX / MIN / IDLE connections and other pool settings.

Akshay

Re: Configure context.xml usgin tnsnames

martipamies
Hi Akshay

Thank you for your post. My main challenge is that the customer requires us to connect to its Oracle DB using tnsnames.ora, or a JDBC url extracted form from tnsnames.ora files, which format I guess is not supported by OE connection pool definition.

By chance, do you know how to specify just a full url inside an OE connection pool definition avoiding to set other properties like server, port or database?

Thank you so much.
Martí

Re: Configure context.xml usgin tnsnames

Akshay
Hello Marti,

As far as I know, OE doesnt have an option to specify JDBC URL to connect to DB, it refers properties from context.xml and the creates DB pool while server startup.
But is it not possible to you to use DB details directly in OE context.xml ? What is the issue ? Is it because of security reasons ?

Regards,
Akshay

Re: Configure context.xml usgin tnsnames

martipamies
Hi Akshay

My issue is that regarding security restrictions from DBA, we can only access DB using tnsnames.ora, and not a standard JDBC URL. I know there is a workaround on that, and you can connect using a JDBC url like this: jdbc:oracle:thin:@TNS_ALIAS_NAME
I've tested it usgin DBVisualizer and it works.
My challenge is how to tell OE pool definition at context.xml that what I want to define is a TNS Alians Name instead of a database server, port, database name.

Thanks you so much for your support.
Martí

Re: Configure context.xml usgin tnsnames

Akshay
Hello Marti,

I will try to check on this and let you know in case I find anything. The best way is, ESB developers can better answer this question.

Akshay

Re: Configure context.xml usgin tnsnames

Hi Akshay

As far as I know Marti found a solution this week end and has to reply to the community and detail the solution he found

Thank you for your help

Re: Configure context.xml usgin tnsnames

martipamies
Hi Akshay

Thank you for your interest and suport. Last Thursday after deep investigation with Ramon Rial we found how to configure it.
Pool definition inside OpenEBS Standalone based on tns entries must look like this:
<dataSource-properties>
    <property>
        <name>user</name>
        <value>USER</value>
    </property>
    <property>
        <name>password</name>
        <value>PASSWORD</value>
    </property>
    <property>
        <name>driverType</name>
        <value>thin</value>
    </property>
    <property>
        <name>tnsEntry</name>
        <value>ENTRY_INSIDE_TNSNAMES_FILE</value>
    </property>
</dataSource-properties>

Hope useful.
Thank you so much.
Martí

Re: Configure context.xml usgin tnsnames

Akshay
Thanks a lot Marti, much appreciated.

Akshay